From http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

"One of the Incubator's roles is to ensure that proper attention is paid to intellectual property. From time to time, an external codebase is brought into the ASF that is not a separate incubating project but still represents a substantial contribution that was not developed within the ASF's source control system and on our public mailing lists. "

Of course, the nitpicking is likely over the phrase "substantial contribution".

I personally don't get what all the fuss is about. It's not hard to do a grant and it protects us, the ASF and Lucene at the cost of taking a little longer, so I think it makes sense to be conservative. So, in my mind, when it lives somewhere else in public or was developed by a company or several individuals, it needs a grant. If it's just someone doing there thing, then it doesn't. Often times, it is the case that the person donating the code indicates these things, as was the case with the Query Parser from IBM.