I agree with you, Grant.
In the query parser scenario: filling out the software grant and providing the tar+md5, which was the only part Apache required, was maybe 5% of all the internal legal and approval work we had to do. Even if Apache didn't require the grant, we'd still do this kind of internal work for donations like this one.

I think for people consuming Lucene it is convenient and reassuring to have software grants in place.

 Michael