+1

I don't like the tags either.

 Michael

On 1/6/10 10:49 AM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
In my opinion, the back-compat tags are not really needed. The checkout
command for test-tag should simply use a revision number to checkout.
Whenever you commit something in the backwards branch, you set the revision
number in common-build.xml and you are done. No need for a extra tag, for me
this was always not clear, why we need tags.

What do others think? I could change the build script to do this.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: u...@thetaphi.de

-----Original Message-----
From: George Aroush [mailto:geo...@aroush.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:00 AM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: "back_compat" folders in tags when I SVN update

I have http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/ and
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/tags/ checked out.

I think having all this "back_compat" folders, under the "tags" can be
very
confusing, especially for someone who looks in "tags" in search of a
released version and finds all the "back_compat" folders not knowing what
they mean (there is more "back_compat" folders than actually release
tags!)
If we are using "tags" for back-compat testing, aren't we overloading the
meaning of the "tags" folder?

I prefer to see "tags" used for what it is, a place to park an actually
released; it shouldn't be used for testing or its content changed
dynamically.

-- George