I'll open an issue when I am back in Bremen.

I tried a little bit with svn and found out:

- We just give the rev number in common-build in syntax backwards-rev="-r
XXXX". By that you can use ant -Dbackwards-rev="" to force test-tag (we
should rename that to "test-backwards" and keep a test-tag with dependency
to that for compatibility).
- The checkout on backwards creates a directory
"backwards/${backwards-branch}" and uses "svn co ${backwards-rev} http://...
'backwards/${backwards-branch}'". The cool thing, the dir is checked out if
non existent, but if the checkout already exists, svn co implicitely does an
svn up to the given revision (it will also downgrade and merge if newer). So
the test-backwards target always updates the checkout to the correct
revision. I had not tried with local changes, but this should simply merge
as an svn up.

The workflow for committing fixes to bw would be:
- First use "svn up" to upgrade the backwards working copy to HEAD.
- Commit the changes
- Copy and paste the message "Committed revision XXXX" to common-build.xml
- Commit the changes in trunk

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen