From: Chris Hostetter [mailto:hossman_luc...@fucit.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:21 PM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: "back_compat" folders in tags when I SVN update

: I prefer to see "tags" used for what it is, a place to park an actually
: released; it shouldn't be used for testing or its content changed
: dynamically.

I have no opinion about the rest of this thread (changing the back compat
testing to use a specific revision on the previous release branch) but as
for this specific comment: it's really a mistake to think of tags as only
being for releases.  the TTB convetion in svn (trunk, tags, branches)
stems from what's considered a best practice when migrating from CVS:
trunk corrisponds to MAIN in cvs, the branches directory corrisponds to
the list of branching tags in CVS, and the tag directory corrisponds to
the list of tags in CVS.

there is nothing special about the concept of a CVS/SVN "tag" that should
make it synonymous in peopls minds with a "release" ... yes we "tag" every
release, but there are lots of other reasons to "tag" things in both CVS
and SVN: release candidates are frequently taged, many other projects tag
stable builds from their continuous integration system ... a developer
could create an aritrary "checkpoint" tag to denote when there was a
dramatic shift in development in a project in case people wnated to easily
find when that shift happened so they could go back and fork a branch at
that point if that approach was deemed unsuccessful.

bottom line: not a good idea to assume all tags are releases.

(that said: the TTB convetion is nothing more then a convention ...
there's nothing to stop us from using a more verbose directory hierarchy
to isolate "release tags" in a single place..
   ./trunk
   ./branches/branch_a
   ./...
   ./tags