On Mar 28, 4:53 am, Martin OConnor <marti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my view, there are two likely aspects to jigsaw not having a JSR.
> Either Sun view it purely as an implementation detail, or more likely
> it is the following:

@Martin: We see it as an implementation detail.

Today everyone is familiar with an implementation detail not mentioned
in any spec: CLASSPATH.

Jigsaw is essentially a "better CLASSPATH". You put your code in a
module and list the module's dependencies on other modules. When
compiling code which belongs to a module, javac asks the Jigsaw module
system for classes it needs - but only from those modules listed as
dependencies. That's faster and more precise than javac walking the
CLASSPATH until it finds some JAR that happens to have a needed class.

Sun's JVM will ask for classes from the Jigsaw module system too, so
you don't have to set the CLASSPATH at runtime. In fact, the Jigsaw
module system has an evolving API which any tool can call:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mr/jigsaw/api/

To put your code in a module, use the "module" keyword defined by JSR
294. JSR 294 defines language and VM changes in support of module
systems. JSR 294 is not a module system. JSR 294 features can and will
be used by both the Jigsaw module system and the OSGi module system.
See a recent blog from BJ Hargrave, who represents IBM on the 294
Expert Group and is CTO of the OSGi Alliance:
http://blog.bjhargrave.com/2009/03/i-am-visible-but-am-i-accessible.html

Alex