On Mar 28, 8:56 pm, mbien <mb...@fh-landshut.de> wrote:
> OSGI is a high level classloader based module system, JSR 294 is a
> classpath replacement with changes in the Java Language Specification
> (module keyword) and JVM, JigSaw is a on JSR 294 based low level
> module system for efficient jdk modularisation and JSR 277 is dead
> (already killed the second time as far as i remember).
>
> I am really no expert in this topic but even for me its a little bit
> like comparing the famous apples with oranges. I don't see much
> overlapping between those three technologies.

I think part of the confusion comes from Mark Reinhold's original blog
announcing Jigsaw (http://blogs.sun.com/mr/entry/jigsaw):

"This module system will be available for developers to use in their
own code, and will be fully supported by Sun, but it will not be an
official part of the Java SE 7 Platform Specification and might not be
supported by other SE 7 implementations."

So in that respect, Jigsaw does compete with OSGI, since developers
can use it to modularize their software.  And with Sun supporting it,
you could make up the typical "Sun re-invents the wheel, forces it on
Java and then makes money from it" story.  However, Mark also said:

"If and when a future version of the Java SE Platform includes a
specific module system then Sun will provide a means to migrate Jigsaw
modules up to that standard. In the meantime we’ll actively seek ways
in which to interoperate with other module systems, and in particular
with OSGi."

So at least on paper, the Jigsaw / OSGI worlds aren't that far apart.

We'll see what IBM does with Jigsaw once they acquired Sun...  ;-)
Sorry, couldn't resist!