On 1 Jul., 14:30, Fabrizio Giudici <fabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it>
wrote:
> Can you define "popular"? Possibly in terms of number of installations?
> Thanks. :-)

I can try, although I won't jump on the number bandwagon as I think
that's utterly pointless. Most people with J2ME capable phones have
never actually run such an application let alone installed a 3'rd part
one.

So what do I base this on? Well for one thing, rate of adoption and
current trends:

- Google trends suggest much higher interest than there ever were for
JM2E: http://www.google.com/trends?q=J2ME%2C+Android
- Amazon lists a total of 36 J2ME books and 16 Android books.
Considering J2ME has been out since 2000, Android only since 2008,
that amounts to 8 books a year for Android vs. 4 books a year for
J2ME.

And I have no reason to believe this trend won't continue since:

- There are over 20 Android phones coming out this year.
- Manufactures won't have to pay for a J2ME license to include
Android.
- Google provides editor, emulator, debugger - the whole shebang in an
easy to use SDK.
- No pre-processor required, as the Android spec is less liberal than
the J2ME and its idiosyncrasies.
- There are already over 5.000 Android applications, I wish I knew how
many J2ME apps there are but as usual (same thing happened with the
component marked) Sun failed to provide such a collaborative and
unifying model.
- People coming from J2ME like Android better, because of the powerful
yet easy to use API's (component library, SQL datastore etc.).
- Android is a superset of J2ME and supports generics etc. making J2ME
looking more stale than ever.

Do you feel otherwise about J2ME, its achievements and future?

/Casper