Hit 'reply' on the wrong post - SpikyOrange specifically insinuated
curly-brace-free if statements are an abomination. To which I say:
pah!

Ben Schultz: They add clutter. Therefore, the onus is on you and not
on me - you need to prove why they are worth it. It would be silly to
ask me to prove why they are NOT worth it - then what's to stop you
from requiring that I prove why you do not need hungarian notation,
or, heck, commenting every line with a funny, unrelated joke. Note
also that the original poster I was trying to reply to (SpikeyOrange)
made this claim:

> For me it is as confusing and dangerous as when someone
> uses an if statement in Java without curly braces. I mean, c'mon, it's
> only a couple of braces ("it's only a return statement..."), but the
> danger of maintaining that code incorrectly [...]

Who's not leaving whom alone, here?

> [case statements in blocks]

You know, aesthetically, that wins. Unfortunately the auto-formatter
of eclipse bollockses that right up. Also, just because you have your
shiny block there, it doesn't mean your block auto-breaks. Which could
lead to confusion - mentally it LOOKS LIKE a for/if kind of block,
which don't just fall through, so I guess that's why it's technically
a bad idea. As a total sidenote, I never indent my case/default
statements; semantically they 'go with' the switch statement. This is
analogous to not indenting an 'else' relative to the correlated 'if'
statement.

> [coin proposal to do away with requirement to brace try/synchronized]

Yes, there was one. It was hand-waved away with a mix of 'not enough
gain relative to likely problems retrofitting the parser' (a fair
argument) and 'not enough people use this' (a silly argument. Of
course nobody uses it - it's not legal. Joe Darcy, nor anyone else at
sun, knows how many people would or would not prefer things that way).
I let it go, mostly because the first argument was quite sound, and I
sort of get what Joe was driving at: there remains a lot of dogged
adherence to the 'curly-brace-free blocks are EVIL! EVIL I TELLS YA!'
"style rule" - which is likely to cause a lot of unfounded complaints
if such a feature (that is, allowing brace-free try/synchronized) is
ever added to java, and the benefit was not worth the misplaced anger
it would probably cause.