Massimo wrote:
> "C# was designed to always be compiled, Java was not."
>
> Wow, you have no idea what you are talking about. You are junking up
> this discussion group with nonsense.
>
> Maybe you should limit your posting to technologies that you've
> actually tried using.

I find rather annoying this kind of reply. :-) Especially people like
me, who hasn't got a deep knowledge of C#, would like to have some
proofing points: "you're wrong BECAUSE ...".

The few things that I know about the topic are that Microsoft itself
released an experimental native compiler for C#, named Bartok:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartok_%28compiler%29

OTOH in Java we have GCJ

http://gcc.gnu.org/java/

but it's not a project from Sun. From what I remember, GCJ has always
been of poor quality, while Bartok was able to compile an operating
system (Singularity). Thus, it seems Microsoft has always had a deeper
attitude at getting compiled, native code than Sun. Since I've professed
my ignorance about C#, this basic knowledge isn't enough to proof that
Josh is right - that's why I'd like to see a more objective discussion
on the topic, rather than some sentence at the personal level.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."