In my last permanent job (I've been back freelance for the last two
years) I used to work for a large American oursourcing company which
is now part of HP and most of the things you have listed chime with my
experience. We weren't completely bolted down - could install software
and frequently did - but otherwise, yes, this a pretty standard
experience inside most large companies.

In one (small) company I did propose that we move all our web
developers to Linux on the basis that almost everything they needed
was available, and the odd thing that wasn't could be delivered over
Citrix. Despite setting up a couple of demo development machines the
management wasn't exactly overwhelmed, mainly I think because they
couldn't get their heads around a machine that wasn't running
Windows...