On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Robert Casto <casto.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The need and purpose for many of these decisions is to avoid legal trouble.
> It is hard to argue with management when lawyers are telling them what they
> should do to avoid legal issues. There is no flexibility when decisions are
> based on that kind of information. I've known people using Notepad to create
> files because they couldn't get permission to install a tool.

So the problem is that they hire people they don't trust.
No filter in the world (aside from death) can prevent someone from saying
the wrong thing.

Sure there's always a need for security, but the solution for most of it is
cultural, not technical.

If I were a professional carpenter, and I was hired to build a house, and I
was forced to work with one arm tied behind my back and a wooden hammer, I
simply wouldn't take the job.
If I were a doctor, and I was hired to heal someone, and they wanted to
force me to use steak knives instead of scalpels, I simply wouldn't take the
job.

Part of being a professional is having the integrity, to be prepared to walk
away when someone wants you to be unprofessional rather than making a poor
job.

And I truly believe, if your employer treats you with respect for your
professionalism, you will also respect your employer.