On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 14:45, Phil <p...@haigh-family.com> wrote:
> [...] that the companies I worked for would
> not invest in their employees because usually there was no immediate
> benefit but there was a cost, and the discussion stopped there. Sorry,
> bit of a thread hijack.

Especially in crisis companies run for the quick money. But that strikes back.
When companies search for an employee who sit in a cage and work for a
banana, they should not wonder if all they find is an ape.

Maybe we are getting slightly off-topic but the point is that such
policies are invented and implemented with the appropriate state of
mind.

And I think there is a huge difference between encrypting harddrives
or sticks and prohibiting IM and other stuff. The first makes sense,
the latter not.

> Personally I think there is a good case for having different network
> zones with different levels of lockdown - trusted senior developers
> could have more unfettered access than new juniors,

I would differ between different level of user know-how and not by
position. But the problem there is: How to measure? - Could be a short
test sufficient?

--
Martin Wildam