On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:41, Karsten Silz <karsten.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> These machine make the iPhone look like Tinkerer's Paradise.  But the
> main reason for that is not legal requirements, it's to lower support
> cost: When you can't tinker with your machine, you can't make a mess
> and call the support hotline.  And if the laptop is broken, they just
> give you a new one, and you don't lose any app or data except for
> maybe your IE bookmarks.  In the case of laptops, this also protects
> you against some theft of confidential data.

That working data is to be stored on the net, that is clear, but for
the support there is another well working strategy that I have
encountered out there: If you call support and the issue can't be
solved within 15 minutes then you get a new image. This usually
results in the behavior of users to think twice before installing or
changing something because all their settings are gone when they get a
new image.

Even on the most cut down machine users change some settings to make
them more productive (if it is just explorer views and the like) and
this is already annoying so support calls are reduced automatically
with this strategy.

--
Martin Wildam