From: javaposse@googlegroups.com
To: javaposse@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 20:32:21 +0930
Subject: Re: [The Java Posse] Android Market analytics

Hi Fabrizio,> > blueBill looks good http://bluebill.tidalwave.it/mobile/ (that
is what we are talking about right?) Thanks - yes, that's it. I guess that I'll
blog a lot about it in the upcoming weeks as I'm going to stuff it with all my
favourite topics (media, plugin-based designs and RDF stores ;-) Too bad the
first and so far unique comment I received on the store is from a user that
asserts that he couldn't run it on the Droid Eris :-((( I mean, I've tested it
(manually) on 1.5, 1.6 (emulator) and 2.1 (Motorola Droid). I've been used to
have this kind of feedback for JME deployments, but for Android I really didn't
expect it.
> > I have used Flurry (http://flurry.com) and Google Analytics (GA) for mobile
> > apps
> > (http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/mobileAppsTracking.html).
> > Google Analytics includes some special info about app store
> > referrals: http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/mobileAppsTrackingAndroid.html
> > I found Flurry helped me a lot to work out what to track in GA; and i ended
> > up trying to emulate the flurry stats in GA. Great pointer! Thanks.
> > But using these as a guide, and aiming for a completely open source
> > solution, you might like to consider using http calls to a server that
> > accepts call to all urls (and returns a empty 200 response), then use a web
> > log analysis tool such as awstats to get nice rollup of your transactional
> > data. Of course this won't work for offline or semi-connected apps, but a
> > little work with a local database (like flurry and GA use) could over come
> > this. with this approach you can use a user-agent string to communicate
> > info about the device and app version, and use url's to track particular
> > events. as an advantage you get some session duration info and unique usage
> > interpretation, and geoip lookup. Yes, it's the same thing I've made with
> > blueMarine that just sends me a short ping when it starts. Indeed, the
> > capability of having more complex analytics such as those GA (and Flurry)
> > provides is something that I didn't think of and it's really great
> > considering how important is to second user's wishes in such user oriented
> > apps. BTW, it was a great lesson to me to try blueBill Mobile on the field.
> > The previous version (JavaFX Mobile based) was tested with my mind more as
> > an engineer wanting to check how JavaFX works; on the other hand I've
> > started using in my real life the Android version and
> > Fabrizio-the-birdwatcher had a lot of things to complain with
> > Fabrizio-the-engineer in version 0.1.0. I guess I should blog about that.
--Fabrizio Giudici, Ph.D. - Java Architect, Project ManagerTidalwave s.a.s. -
"We make Java work. Everywhere."weblogs.java.net/blog/fabriziogiudici -
www.tidalwave.it/blogfabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it - mobile: +39 348.150.6941