Since Helios refers to the Sun.  I actually think it might have been
an homage to Sun as an entity.  Recognizing that it was moving into a
new phase under Oracle.  There is not hint of an eclipse of sun in
that name?

My recollection was that SWT came out after SWING but they were close
in time.  I believe it got started during the time AWT was out but
swing had not come out.  Even after Swing came out there was still an
interest in something that performed better (Swing was not a barn
burner in the beginning)  Also in those days Sun was not all that fast
at addressing reported bugs. I voted for a few in the day...

Am I correct in my recollection that both NetBeans and Eclipse were
not originally projects started in Sun and IBM.  I forget where NB
came from but think Eclipse came out of IBM picking up OTI.

Bill