I remember SWT had come out quite a while after Swing, but the latter
was just so bad I still feel a bit queasy when I hear the phrase "Java
UI".

I too was surprised at the name Helios.  Previously releases were all
named after moons of Jupiter ("Calisto", "Europa", and "Ganymede"),
then it was named after the guy who discovered said moons.  I don't
know where the sun-ish name came from, and next release is called
"Indigo"; if that has an astronomical reference I don't know what it
is (and I watch the Science Channel almost religiously).  They choose
the names well in advance, maybe IBM (who was trying to buy Sun a
little over a year ago) was trying to play nice (when Eclipse was
first released, there was a lot of complaining from the Sun camp that
the name was chosen to take a jab at Sun).

Disclaimer, I am an IBM employee, however I am fairly separated from
the Eclipse project so I don't know anything about their decision
making.