On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 09:17, Casper Bang <casper.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Am I correct in my recollection that both NetBeans and Eclipse were
>> not originally projects started in Sun and IBM.  I forget where NB
>> came from but think Eclipse came out of IBM picking up OTI.
>
> Sun bough NetBeans in 99', from a Java development tool firm in the
> Czech Republic. I also think they snapped up Forte (state-of-the-art)
> around the same time, although you never really heard more about it
> since?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forte

"Forté for Java, the former name of the Netbeans IDE."

Though the main Netbeans article on Wikipedia makes no mention of
this, so perhaps the Forte article is mistaken and your recollection
is correct. Or maybe Sun bought Netbeans to replace what they had been
developing under the name Forte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBeans#Early_history

NetBeans began in 1996 as Xelfi (word play on Delphi),[2][3] a Java
IDE student project under the guidance of the Faculty of Mathematics
and Physics at Charles University in Prague. In 1997 Roman Staněk
formed a company around the project and produced commercial versions
of the NetBeans IDE until it was bought by Sun Microsystems in 1999.
Sun open-sourced the NetBeans IDE in June of the following year. The
NetBeans community has since continued to grow, thanks to individuals
and companies using and contributing to the project.[4]

The screen shot here:

http://web370.server168.star-server.info/java/ide/ffj_bild.htm

Of "Forte for Java 1.0" looks an awful lot like what I (dimly)
remember from very early versions of Netbeans.

Color me confused.

// Ben