I was amused by the Smalltalk references.  VisualAge for Java was
actually written -IN- Smalltalk ( IBMs VisualAge Smalltalk ) and
stored all source code -INSIDE- the Smalltalk VM ( and I believe used
Envy, or an Envy like system for version control of your
classes/methods ).

Other than being slower than a slow swing thing, the fact you didn't
actually have .java files was an issue for a lot of people.  You could
"export" ( or file-out in Smalltalk terms ) the sources to .java files
so you could at least commit into CVS, but it wasn't easy to do
two-way version control there.

--
Pull me down under...