There are no little guys patents. That just doesn't happen.

If google had built a clone of some fledgling but popular webservices
then we'd... well, you tell me:

 code.google.com (github and many others)
 buzz (twitter)
 orkut (friendster)

Perhaps those aren't fair comparisons. So far google has avoided
stamping all over a startup without at least giving them the courtesy
of buying them before doing it. I'm convinced the top brass at google
knows the hard to measure, mostly intangible benefit of more or less
being friends with the anonymous technorati masses is worth rather a
lot, and shouldn't be surrendered lightly. Tossing a million to a
fledgling startup in order to avoid the stigma of taking their idea
and ripping it off.

NB: Even if twitter did have a patent on microblogging, and we go back
in time before they had much funding, and google created buzz? Nothing
would happen. Google would obliterate twitter in court if they tried
anything. If one side has a vastly more capable army of lawyers than
the others, that side always wins no matter how preposterous the case,
especially for murky stuff like patents. That's just how the US works.
In many ways its a banana republic, but many of its inhabitants have a
quaint idea of tradition and will fight tooth and nail against any
change. No offense intended to any readers. One of the reasons this
Oracle vs. Google might get interesting is that both sides have
effectively unlimited legal resources.