Hi,

Interesting discussion! The New York Times had a series of articles
about all this:
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2010/08/04/why-dont-americans-have-longer-vacations
(Read the comments, they also give you insights from various
countries)

Anyway, as a German living in the US, one important issue to consider
is the subject of sick leave. In my experience American companies
increasingly lump together sick-leave and normal time-off together
into a Personal Time Off (PTO) bucket. So you may have 15 PTO days per
year but you better do not catch some nasty disease :-)

In Germany, as far as I understand it, you can be sick 6 weeks per
disease and get paid for it (at 100%). Thus, if you catch a new
disease, another 6 weeks. After each 6 weeks, your paycheck decreases
somewhat. Oh and then there is the whole subject of paternity leave

To counter-balance things, though, the US monetary income for Software
developers is higher IMO, compared to Germany - Thus, to some degree
it depends on what metric is important to you. Some further reading
materials:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/lab_vac_min_vac_tim_aro_the_wor_leg_req-time-around-world-legally-required

http://www.mcgill.ca/files/ihsp/WFEIFinal2007.pdf

Cheers,