With one exception I never had less than 22 days paid as an employee
in the UK, it varied from 22-26 days. 20 days is actually the legal
minimum in the UK which I did have once in a small company.

I spent some time working for EDS and they allowed you to trade up/
down holiday for pay. So with a standard (in my final fill year) 25
days you could sell back up to five days, or buy more. I used to buy 4
or 5 days extra but it was sometimes hard to use them all.

As a freelancer I plan on the basis that I'll take about 30 days off
(plus bank holidays) meaning I can bill for about 44 weeks a year. It
can go either way though, I've had gaps after my last two contracts
(but I find this time is very productive for personal projects).

When I worked in the US, the people I spoke to said that 10 days was
about the norm for paid holiday.