On Sep 2, 7:13 am, Les Stroud <stroud....@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a side note, I have never understood the concept of paid vacation.
> I think it is an artifact of trying to simplify payroll systems and
> does not reflect reality.  In reality, you are paid x amount for y
> number of days worked.  So, you can break that down into a rate per
> hour.  If you think in those terms, it is purely a financial choice.
> It's a shame that companies can't be flexible enough to let you take
> what you need to take and only pay you for what you work.  That would
> allow you the choice of whether you want to make some extra money this
> year or take more time.

The rationale for "forcing" you to take regular vacation (which is why
they also stop accruing vacation at a certain limit) is that it's
better for your long term productivity to take some time off, even if
you'd rather just keep the money if the decision was up to you.
Recharging the batteries, coming back fresh and inspired is going to
be good for your life balance and probably keep you happy and
productive in your job situation longer, which benefits that
company.   It's similar to the reason most software jobs have a clause
stating that you can't work a second job in the evenings or weekends;
they want you and your brain to be rested for your main job.

-- Tor