I seem to be repeating myself, which is probably boring, so sorry to those i
have bored. You might want to skip what ive written below...

2010/9/8 Cédric Beust ♔ <ced...@beust.com>

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Miroslav Pokorny <
> miroslav.poko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Im not sure if its business or an American thing but it seems you forget
>> to about being human which is sometimes mostly about doing the right thing
>> regardless of what the law says. Overall most companies forget that simple
>> fact.
>

> Expecting companies (public ones at that) to follow the same moral laws as
> humans is quite naïve. Besides, Google has contributed to open source in
> more ways than I can even remember. You are upset that they don't match your
> expectations in that area, but try to step back and apply your reasoning to
> other major software companies like Oracle, Apple or HP. How does Google
> look then?

Too me its like taking an open source library, making lots of cash and never
>> even giving the authors a donation. Yes its legal but its overall, its
>> disappointing.
>

> Google has hired *a lot* of open source developers to work on their open
> source project. That sounds even more generous than a donation to me.

Compared to all the OSS that Sun gave away its still a small fraction. Sun
sponsored things that were never going to make them money in any form
(simple example Netbeans) while Google only gives away stuff that almost
always helps their goals of pushing people onto the internet assets. My
comment was only made because if you really believe in OSS , as per their
statement, sometimes you need to get the money out. You cant always make
money from every deal, sometimes its about the community, eg Netbeans, or
perhaps in this case, buying Sun. So please dont shout how you love the
community and open source next time, when it was obvious you were being
cheap.

> How many other companies do that?

Naive yes - of course i know happens very rarely. My original comment was a
response to people sort of defending the Google stance particularly
regarding the comment "its an attack on Open Source" (paraphrased). All i
was trying to say is if they really love the community and open source, they
should put their money where their mouth is, and contribute some money back
into the ecosystem. Given the value of Sun, Java particularly regarding the
Android platform it seemed "cheap" to not just buy them. Given the costs of
this trial, continued potential uncertainty etc its seems money is being
wasted on lawyers instead of something more worthwhile like buying Sun. In a
few years time what will the cost of this alternative path compared to the
simpler option ?