I am not sure of exactly why there are not more women in core Computer
Science.

I can think of 3 reasons off the top of my head.

1) Fewer women are interested in Computer Science.
2) Women are put of by the high proportion of men in this field.
3) Women are put off by the treatment they receive from others (men)
in the field.

If 1 is true then I don't think attacking the men in the field as the
cause is fair. It just is as it is and there is no blame.
If 2 is true then this could be a self perpetuating problem.
If 3 is true then yes, it this the men or at least some of them who
are to blame.

I don't rule out it could be a combination of these factors.

I find by and large that professional programmers are professionals
and their conduct is consistent with other office working
professionals.

There are some arrogant, and unpleasant types around. I believe such
people make life unpleasant and difficult for many of the more civil
men, let alone any women (though perhaps at least the men don't
usually have to worry about being hit on [make a pass on (us)]).

Maybe I am a little bitter given I wouldn't dream of mistreating a
female professional in the way described and don't like the idea of
the community being blanket branded as sexist.