On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Carl Jokl <carl.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can think of 3 reasons off the top of my head.
>
> 1) Fewer women are interested in Computer Science.
> 2) Women are put of by the high proportion of men in this field.
> 3) Women are put off by the treatment they receive from others (men)
> in the field.

I go with 4) Fewer girls are interested in Computer Science.  I
suspect there is a feedback loop between your 1 and my 4.  That is
just a suspicion, though, and I would expect that given time this
would change.

I think what a lot of people ignore in some of this is that there are
a lot of very open minded people when it comes to sexism and such, by
and large they are left behind by those that have more traditionally
sexist views.  (Saw a study showing this once, I can try to find it in
a link, if desired.)  The upshot is that many of the visibly
successful people in a field actually hold some fairly sexist views.
(I believe it was shown that this exists in men and women.  I know I
have heard the anecdote that women are much harsher towards female
candidates than men are.)