On Dec 11, 2010, at 1:32 PM, Miroslav Pokorny wrote:

> On 12/12/2010, at 1:44 AM, Eric Newcomer <enewco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Executive Committee of the JCP, to which Credit Suisse was elected by a
>> strong supporting vote from Java vendors, does not create libraries. Nor
>> does the JCP in general. The purpose of the organization is to sponsor the
>> development and standardization of specifications, the goal of which is
>> basically to ensure Java implementations are consistent.
>>
>> It is not about innovation per se. If Google or another Java vendor develops
>> a cool new library, that's fine and has no relationship to the JCP because
>> the purpose of the JCP is to get agreement among all Java vendors about
>> things such as what's in Java 7 or
>>

> But credit Suisse is not a jvm or java vendor- their participation seems a
> little strange given their field of expertise. On the other hand jar 330 had
> some guys from weld, guide, spring etc which all makes sense because those
> participants were very close to the problem at hand.

Why do you think the JCP is only about the JVM or being a Java vendor?  Most of
the JSRs have resulted in additions to the Java library, not the language
itself.

Personally, I think Tim had it right when he said it isn't that crucial for
Java  to move forward.  I see no reason that Apache has to develop open source
to a specification dictated by a Java committee when it comes to
interoperability with applications written for .Net or for a set of classes for
financial or scientific applications.  Although Apache has participated on a
large number of JSRs, far more of its projects are just grown out of people
having interesting ideas they want to try out.  And in case you didn't know,
committers at Apache come from everywhere and work in all kinds of environments.

I think the ASF was far more important to the JCP than the JCP ever has been to
the ASF.

Ralph