On Jun 14, 2011 2:15 PM, "Josh Berry" <tae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/6/13 Cédric Beust ♔ <ced...@beust.com>:
> > You need to realize that very, very few Java programmers have done that.
> > Most of them come from a C/C++ background and for a growing number of
> > developers, Java is the very first language they learned. Most of these
> > people don't know much else beyond it.
>
> I've actually found that the majority of Java developers have never
> touched another language.  Those that have, I agree have likely done
> C/C++, but they have been the minority for a while now.  Seems that
> those that switched from anything to Java are willing to switch away,
> as well.

That's just depressing... While it may be impossible to mandate what's self
taught, there really should be a good cross-section of paradigms covered in
comp.sci courses for anyone who studies the subject formally.

Scheme, Haskell, Prolog, Erlang, Smalltalk & C all have something important
and unique to offer here. With those under your belt, you'd be well equipped
to handle any other language currently in production use.