This whole article is sensationalist and not thoughtful... APIs are
deprecated, JavaBeans aren't the answer to the world, so what? But
there is one point I wanted to elaborate on:

"The biggest threat to Java is Apple’s banning of Java on the iPhone"

This is exactly what I've been saying in the other thread:

The old strategy of every client device having a system-wide Java
runtime with the full manufacturer blessing is obsolete.

There is a huge opportunity for client-side Java to evolve and take a
position at the vanguard of the field: Evolve towards micro-JDKs
embedded into the end user application that are completely invisible
to the end user and are compatabile with iOS and other devices that
don't necessarily embrace Java at the system or manufacturer level.

What Java, the ecosystem, has that is of huge value is a rich,
vibrant, and widely multi-vendor ecosystem of development tools
including programming languages, IDEs, and best of breed build tools.
If that ecosystem can be connected to the wider range of clients and
client devices that don't want to understand or maintain a system
level JRE, that would be a huge win.