> For us, we were overriding some of the swing classes, and the somewhere
> down the road more methods were added to the base class. Getting the code
> to compile was not too hard - but this was code that was last likely
> touched over 5 years ago and we did not have the expertise in house. So it
> just meant more time needed to be spent to resurrect the code.

That's exactly the reason why the .NET authors decided against
virtual-by-default like in Java.

Interesting subject though. I reckon all of us in here have written our own
domain-less StringUtils, NumberUtils, DateUtils etc. which are obvious
candidates for reuse. Especially since extension methods are now on its way
into Java!

I realize Maven, NuGet etc. lets us easily pick down packages we know. But
what about the whole discovery problem? How would we
better benefit from each-others work?!

Perhaps via metadata:

@Supplements(java.util.Date.class)
static class DateUtils{
    static Pair<Date, Date> getWeekSpan(Date date, Locale locale){
    }
}

Whoops, now we need a Pair class... so I'd argue the problem is not how to
reuse, the problem is how to easily find, and link, the stuff we can reuse.