On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:24:34 +0100, Moandji Ezana <mwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Vineet Sinha <vin...@architexa.com> wrote:

It makes the point the point that there is a lot of code that is getting
deprecated and that old Java libraries has been replaced with new.

It seems to me that the APIs he mentions - multimedia stuff - is an area in which Java has always done poorly. There are lots of other APIs (SQL, I/O, concurrency, not to mention Java EE) that continue to evolve rather than be
replaced.

Yes, I know the pain of media libraries. But it's a situation that doesn't extend to the rest of the world.

Re: the Guice libraries that replaced Apache Commons... what's the point? Redundancy in open source is a known problem, basically you don't want the extremes: too many similar stuff -> NIH syndrome, while just a single way to do one thing -> lack of flexibility. Apart from rare exceptions, I see a health distribution of stuff in the Java ecosystem. In any case, it seems that this can't have to do with the original paper. This is mostly community related, and 1) it doesn't have to do with Java itself, rather third parties and 2) how things are supposed to be better in other communities?

I found that the third sentence (the first substantive one, I think. I
don't understand the very first sentence.) sets the tone for the article's
WTF-ness: "In 15 years, my Java project has grown from 667 lines of
code (LOC) to 633,436 LOC." Does this imply that he's worked on one (and
only one) Java project for 15 years?

Yesterday I mentioned other WTF-nesses. If you go on with the same topic, there's a fun way of compute the cost due to a library change. In any case if you google the author's name you'll find his page and a list of projects.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."