From: jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Brian Lee
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:16 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] keyboard manager question

Hello Doug,

If the verbosity for punctuation is set to "most", and the level for period
in the customize punctuation dialog in the configuration manager is also set
to "most", you should be hearing the period spoken.  There are a couple
other possibilities that you might check.  First of all, if you are using
the Eloquence synthesizer with JAWS default settings then check in the text
processing dialog box in the configuration manager to see if JAWS is
controlling the punctuation mode.  Another possibility to consider is if you
were trying to get JAWS to not speak a greater than sign in the dictionary
manager, if you accidentally didn't press the shift key with the period for
the greater than sign then you might have told JAWS not to speak the period.
I have listed steps below for how to check the first possible scenario, and
a second set of steps shown below is for how to check in the dictionary
manager.

CHECKING HOW PUNCTUATION MODE IS BEING CONTROLLED

1.    Use JAWS key with F2 to bring up the list of JAWS managers.

2.    Press the letter "c" until the configuration manager choice is in
focus and press enter key.

3.    When the configuration manager appears use CTRL+shift+D to bring up
the default configuration manager.

4.    When the default configuration manager window is in focus then use
Alt+S to bring up the settings menu.

5.    Use down arrow key to the "text processing" menu choice and press
enter key.

6.    When the dialog box appears then use tab key to move to the
"punctuation mode" box.  If the setting is on "synthesizer" then use up or
down arrow key to choose "JAWS."

7.    Use tab key to the OK button and press enter key or spacebar.

8.    Use CTRL+S to save changes and then Alt+f4 to close the default
configuration manager.

9.    If the problem is only happening in one application then when working
in that application bring up the configuration manager as shown above but
ignore step 3.

CHECKING THE DICTIONARY MANAGER

1.        Use JAWS key with D to bring up the JAWS dictionary file.  If you
start in an application that hasn't had a dictionary file created for it
then you might get the "new dictionary" dialog.  If that happens then tab to
OK and press enter key.

2.       When the dictionary file is open then use shift+CTRL+D to load the
default dictionary file.

3.       Use tab key to move to a tree view containing a list of actual
words and replacement words.

4.       Use down arrow key through the list to check if there is any entry
for the period mark.  If there is then use tab key to the change button and
press enter key or spacebar.  In the resulting dialog box type a period mark
in the actual word edit box and then tab to the replacement word edit box
and type in a period mark.  Tab to OK and press enter key, and then use
CTRL+S to save changes and Alt+f4 to close the dictionary manager.

5.       If it is only in a specific application such as your Email program
where you are not hearing the period spoken, open the dictionary manager
using JAWS key with the letter "D" while focus is in your Email program.  In
this case do not load the default dictionary manager.

6.              Follow steps 3 and 4 shown above in this set of steps.

I hope you get the period being spoken again.

Take care.

Brian Lee

brianl...@charter.net