ah, i had thought they had gotten past that brittleness, ah well, thank you
for the correction info

inthane

-----Original Message-----
From: jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Don Marang
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:38 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Problem with jaws not starting immediatelywhen
Iboot my PC - Start Up

It is certainly true that SSD drives also get some level of
defragmentation over time.  However, since the memory is retrieved
directly and there is no seek time, this does not effect performance.
Additionally, so far the number of times you can write to each memory
location is far, far less than current hard drives, it is not
recommended to defragment SSD drives.  I suppose those who have phobias
about cleanliness, might want to defrag occasionally, just for sanity.

*Don Marang*
Vinux Package Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org
<http://www.vinuxproject.org/>

On 9/11/2012 5:28 PM, inthaneelf wrote:
> hmmm, i would not think so, even if the only thing in operation on the ssd
> is your operating system, the regestry still gets written to and removed
> from as you install and uninstall, so it at least will need periodic
> cleaning, which also denotes the need for an occasional defrag of it.
>
> if the only thing and your absolutely sure of it, so temparery internet
> files, eMail applications, and all else write to someplace other than the
> ssd you will need defrag far less, but still need it.
>
> there are two main reasons for the use of ssd's, they don't usually fail a
> few months into there use as some falty disk drives do, and there access
> time is normally superior to a disk drive.
>
> but as far as my understanding of drives (and i could be wrong on this, i
> think rick of blind geak zone would be the one to really ask)  if a drive
> gets written to, it gets fragmented.
>
> HTH,
> inthane

>>> or: