On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 23:44 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to make the following proposals:

hi jochen

> - We have two major feature enhancements in the HEAD:
>    Mixed content and inheritance via xs:extension. IMO,
>    that's enough for a new feature release, aka 0.5.
>
>    I'd suggest the following release plan: Publish 0.5beta
>    now. Wait four weeks. If several issues arise, publish
>    0.5rc1, wait another two weeks, and so on, until no
>    major issues can be found.

+1 to the release and sounds like a reasonable plan.

i've found that it's not worth waiting more than a week or two between
releases: usually, anyone who's going to try the candidate or beta will
try it in the first week or forget. it's usually more effective to make
candidates (seems to spread the word) more frequently (if a problem is
found, fix it, wait a day for two to see if there are any more then cut
another) rather than waiting more time.

>    I'll do the job, if noone else volunteers.

i'm going to be busy (apachecon europe)

> - Once 0.5 is out, it seems to be a good point to go to
>    subversion. [EMAIL PROTECTED] wants us to do that and I admit
>    that I understand their reasons, in particular the ability
>    to get rid of shell accounts on cvs.apache.org.

+1

> - I have learned a good deal about maven in the last weeks
>    (did a good part of the german translation of O'Reillys
>    "Maven Developer Notebook"). My impression is, that Maven
>    will fit *very* well for JaxMe.

+1

>    However, using Maven will clearly imply, that we have to
>    split the single project with its five source directories
>    into a project and several subprojects.

i would suggest moving to subversion before mavenizing. i've grown to
really like subversion: in particular, the approach to branching
(branching==copying) and moving file (proper file moves) makes
reorganising projects very easy.

>    Robert and Nacho have both expressed their intention to
>    "mavenize" the project or at least write a Maven plugin.
>    How about?

mavenization is a different issue to creating a maven plugin :)

a maven plugin would allow users to use jaxme from within maven. it
should be very easy to do (but i no longer have the itch and any energy
i have to spare i think would be better spent on finishing off the
tutorial).

but i'm happy to help out with mavenization

- robert