Why are you splitting it up at all?  I guess I can see why you would want to
split up thirdparty stuff, perhaps even client stuff... but there is no
reason (or desire) to have the rest split up on a cvs module basis (or
generated jar basis).

To make things more cpmlicated for you, jboss will want to have its
thirdparty jars installed into lib/ext, which seems like it will complicate
the process of splitting those up into packages.

I played with debian for some time (once I could get the damn thing
installed... or rather once someone told me not to use the custom mode so
the installer would not ask me a billon questions).

I thought apt was nice, though to upgrade to woody, I had to keep running
apt-get over and over and over and over... finally it worked.

So, I did not write this to knock debian or there package system, but more
to find out the motivation to make the package and why you inist on this
level of seperation.

I would expect a jboss-system and jboss-client as core packages, then put
the extra plugins (from jboss-plugins) like the iiop and such into there
own.

There is no reason the split up the jboss-system package into smaller bits
(like a jboss-naming or jboss-j2ee packages) because they are completly
useless out of the context of the supporting modules.

Modules are not realeased individialy, but as a whole.  They do not have
there own versioning, they use the versioning from the cvs project from
which they are a member.  I know this is hard to understand based on the
currect pyhsical cvs layout.  Perhaps we can fix that once 3.0 has been
moved to production, perhaps 3.2 as well.

Why not simply make a .deb from the archives released to sf.net?  If the
point is to generate a .deb that is the easiest thing todo, which will also
have the least amount of maintenece required by you (or another) when
building an updated package.

I am not against building .debs, .rpms or whatever, but we need to keep them
uptodate with the current releases.  we need to make sure the packaging
suites the needs of our users (not the ultra-purist package system
designers).  And we need to make sure it is easy to maintain the package
generation.  Ideally an optional target of the build/build.xml for the given
project should make packages, so you, me, scott or anyone could generate
them... and not have to know the details of the packaging system.

I will respond to your other email when I get into work.  Could you explain
(in a brief-like manner), your motivation to split up everything in jboss at
the cvs module level?

--jason