David,

Please would you expand on this a little.

Do you mean:

a). The packager of the app would be able to provide a single descriptor
b). The container would merge the proprietary and standard descriptor before
processing?

Which particular descriptors are you considering ?

I have reservations about (a):

Deployment is complex enough without introducing another descriptor.

What is the reason for this train of thought ?

Simplicity ?

You make life more complex and less portable for the packager of the app - he
has to make another choice.
You will increase any effort that is going into automatic dd generation for
JBoss.
If you are expecting to pass one of these to e.g. Jetty it won't like it - so
integration becomes more expensive.

Speed ?

Deployment is not generally considered a speed-critical area. Why invest the
time here when it might be better spent somewhere that is speed-critical.

If your suggestion is (b), then it is a matter of implementation. If
preprocessing the descriptors makes it easier to then process that output
efficiently/easily then I see no problem. Each descriptor consumer can choose
their own strategy.

Sorry to sound down on the idea, I'm just pushing th web-container view - it
may be far more applicable to other types of descriptor.

Jules