On 2001.11.27 15:38:07 -0500 Anatoly Akkerman wrote:
> > > what if we use xslt to transform the deploymentdescriptors to
> jdk1.4's
> > > longterm persistence format and let the task of parsing the xml and
> > > instantiating the metadata beans to the java.beans.XMLDecoder .. this
>
> > > would at least enhance maintainability.
> >

> > Very interesting idea.  I was playing with using jaxb for xml to object
> > conversion, although there may be license issues with it.  Offhand, it
> > looks to me as if using the jdk 1.4 persistence format (I just read
> about
> > it for 5 min or so) would involve some pretty heavy-duty xml
> > transformations and require jdk 1.4.  Jaxb appears (in very preliminary
> > experiments) to be able to generate classes from the ejb 2 dtd and
> > jbosscmp-jdbc dtd.
> >
> > sooo..
> >
> > --jaxb requires using specially generated base classes but requires
> minimal
> > xml transformation.  License may make it unavailable (???? anyone else
> have
> > an opinion about this???)
>
> Probably the simplest thing to glue these things would be using Castor
> with custom mapping and/or autogenerated classes. (JAXB seems to be an
> effort to standardize Castor-like technologies from various players in
> the
> field. From what I remember Exolab (or Intalio, or whatever their current
> name is) was a member of this JSR.
>
> Castor has a mode where you write your custom class hierarchy that would
> be used to represent an XML in object tree form. Then you write a special
> XML file which describes how these classes are mapped into XML entities
> and attributes. Then you can simple use a Marshaller or Unmarshaller to
> store/restore an object tree to/from XML.
>
> The other mode that Castor provides, is auto-generation of classes that
> would represent any valid instance of an XML file that conforms to a
> given
> XML Schema from which the classes are generated. This is, in a way, a way
> for the lazy guys to get around learning SAX or DOM (exactly what I
> did). And this is what JAXB seems to promise at the moment. Though, JAXB
> only works with dtds at the moment, while Castor can already deal with
> XML
> Schemas which are far more expressive than DTDs.
>
> In my current project I am using auto-generated classes for J2EE and
> JBoss
> descriptors (J2EE 1.1 and JBoss 2.2 or something like that). As a head
> start I can provide XML Schemas which I've used to produce the class
> hierarchies with Castor. For some custom XML descriptors that I am using
> to store my project's metadata, I have written custom classes and used
> mapping technique of Castor. I can share my experiences with those as
> well. It is a solid technology, though, I am glad I did not have to mess
> with SAX or DOM.
>
> This is how you would glue several files together. Say you have
> [...]

Can Castor merge nested attributes from all the files into one object?  For
instance, there are elements under ejb-jar/enterprise-beans/entity and
jboss-cmp/enterprise-beans/entity that should all end up in
result-dd/enterprise-beans/entity.

Just having copies of all 3 docs in the super-jboss is probably easier with
including an xml entity;-)

david jencks