I've now checked in my jca 1.5 work.  To see how the Work interfaces can be
used as a thread pool not from an adapter, look at
org.jboss.test.jca.inflow.BootstrapContextTest.  This is an mbean that uses
a thread pool.  The thread pool itself is accessible from another mbean,
BootstrapContext.  You can deploy as many of these as you want.

The thread pool provides:

--immediate excution (in the calling thread)
--starting work, return when work starts executing (in separate thread)
--scheduling work, return immediately.

Each option can be "blind" or you can supply a transaction context to
import and a listener to find out about the progress of the work.

The spec includes a way for the app server to hint that the work is taking
too long and should stop soon, but I didn't implement that.  So far I'm not
sure how useful it will be.

Unfortunately the spec committee did not see fit to include a way to import
a security context, just a tx context.  Presumably we can get around this
by defining a JBossExecutionContext that also includes a Subject.

Thanks
david jencks