On 2002.10.20 19:46:52 -0400 marc fleury wrote:
> Sounds good,
>

> > When are we planing on converting the interceptor to having only a
> > single invoke method?  I can easily do this with a new abstract
> > interceptor that breaks into the two methods based on
> > invocation type.
> > Any objections?
>
> not really, it was a needed clean step.
>
> > Why must the last interceptor, ContainerInterceptor, be
> > defined by the
> > container?  Unless there is a reason, I'm going to move this of the
> > container.
>
> A reflective invoking interceptor is a good idea as it is needed for the
> pure aspect interceptors.
>

> One more request: stateless vs stateful interceptors.  It is clear to me
> that both are needed.  For example: stateful are easy to code you just
> have your variable in there and it is easy.  A good example of stateless
> (taken from invocation) is the "read-ahead" interceptor. The read-ahead
> interceptor lives in the CMP stack (if you coded your CMP stack with
> interceptors).
> You need to have that information from the client. The client can then
> set the "READ-AHEAD" bucket to 3-5 or 20 or whatever it is that he wants
> to display, the invocation carries that information under the
> "READ-AHEAD" value and the interceptor reads it under that value *from
> the invocation*.  It is my feeling that this is now a configuration
> thingy passed by the XML files.  It is good as is, meaning we need the
> defaults to be configured by the XML file for all the invocations but
> let the Invocation overwrite them.
>
> Bottom line is that I believe the CMP optimization of READ-AHEAD is a
> good example of both coding practices, in fact they show the *need* for
> both.

Previously we were on opposite sides of this debate:-)

I think for simplicity we should have only stateless interceptors, any
interceptor can store per-stack state in a the stack top in a hashmap.

I rewrote the mbean interceptors this way, it works fine, but then juha
committed a completely different reimplementation.

I still haven't had a chance to look at the aspect stuff, I do think

--interceptor lifecycle events
--stateless interceptors, with interceptor state stored in the stack top
keyed by interceptor.
--one model of interceptors jboss-wide

are essential.

david jencks