Thanks!  Another good suggestion, but I think I've found a workaround.  I
disabled the JIT compiler on SCO Openserver's JVM, and JBoss has been
running successfully since (albeit slower).  For now, the speed decrease is
not a problem (I think! ;) ).  We will be porting to Linux as soon as we get
device drivers for some of the hardware we use.  Then, hopefully, software
development in general won't feel like a constant fight for your life, and
in particular, we will be able to successfully deploy a fully-functional,
speedy, JBoss implementation.  <sympathy ploy> Can you tell that the last
few years of developing on SCO have taken their toll! </sympathy ploy> :)

Well, back to work while I wait for SCO to bite me in the rear again...