On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 02:32:17PM -0600, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Jim,
>
> How do you think we test JBoss?  Take a look at the CMP tests in the
> testsuite.  We have an addon to JUnit that can deploy and undeploy
> applications.  Also we have a tool that can run the tests on the server
> side like (I wrote this to test local interfaces), but does not require
> a servlet tier.
>
> -dain

The only reason I can find to use this junitee is testing localinterfaces and to solve
the problem with security. There is a difference regarding security because you can
specify a run-as parameter for web-apps but not for clients (like a junit-client),
AFAIK. Is there any easy way to do this (other than logging in with a real user)?

> [...]
> > poor design, but web apps by their very nature are difficult to test.
> >
> > The app I'm currently working on is very CRUD-ish; it does simple
> > read/write maintenance on a bunch of related objects.  I don't want
> > the web tier to access the Entity beans directly -- this would violate
> > the transactional requirements -- so they go through a Session Facade.
> > Creating additional POJO's through which the session beans interact
> > with the entities only adds an unnecessary layer of complexity IMHO.
> >
> > The app is currently implemented using OJB, and I'm interested in
> > refactoring it to use CMP EJB's, which IMHO are much easier to create
> > and maintain (with Xdoclet, of course) than OJB.
> >
> > The big benefit of using OJB, however, is that a user can easily test
> > the entire app from end-to-end without deploying or even interacting
> > with an external resource.  This is possible with Hypersonic's
> > in-memory database.  It got me thinking that an in-memory EJB
> > container would be just as cool.
> >
> > JBoss is architected so well that I figured there must be a way to do
> > it.  I'm currently trying to add enough stuff to the minimal
> > configuration to support the deployment of EJB's, and then I'll see if
> > it's not possible to invoke that configuration from the setup of my
> > JUnit test runner.
> >
> > Does anyone else think this is possible or even worth pursuing?
> >
> > -- Jim
> >
> > Demyanovich, Craig - Apogent wrote:
> >> Jim,
> >> I currently do not unit test either Entity or Session Beans.  Entity
> >> Beans
> >> are trivial to write, and I trust that the application server will
> >> persist
> >> them as advertised.  To unit test Session Beans would require that
> >> they be
> >> deployed.  Since deployment complicates unit testing and complicated
> >> or
> >> difficult unit tests suggest that the design could be done
> >> differently/better, I design Session Beans to be controllers of a
> >> number of
> >> collaborating objects.  These objects are simply business objects that
> >> encode the business logic of the system.  Since they are plain Java
> >> classes,
> >> I can unit test them very easily.
> >> Consider a message-driven bean.  As I generally design them, MDBs
> >> receive a
> >> message, hand it to a parser, hand the results of parsing to other
> >> objects
> >> that do something with the message contents, hand the results of that
> >> work
> >> to a communictator, which knows how to send the final results where
> >> they
> >> need to go.  So, I don't test any part of the MDB; rather, I test the
> >> various collaborating business objects.  If I'm confident that they
> >> all
> >> behave as expected, I'm confident that they will also do so when they

MVH
Marius Kotsbak
Boost communications AS