I'm using plain auth (with and without ntlogon).  I've tested with
Spark 2.5.8, Coccinella .96.4.1, and PSI 0.11.  All have the same
problem, they hang or return an error when doing SASL.  I'd like to
repeat for Thomas' sake that all three worked on the previous build
which used Cyrus SASL.

I've tested Adium 1.2.1, Spark 2.5.8, PSI 0.11 and all of them seems to work without a problem with new builds both TLS and non-TLS work, both PLAIN and DIGEST-MD5 work too.

Please check (diff) your config XML files with new dist.xml files. There may be sections to upgrade in sm.xml, c2s.xml, router.xml. Your config may fail just because of some missing configuration or module. Also to have working TLS you need to have valid PEM and enable it at: c2s.xml

<id register-enable="true"
        pemfile='server.pem'>YOURDOMAIN</id>

Cheers,
--