Thanks for all your work on this.  Regarding gsasl, I currently am not
compiling myself because I had not converted my build environment to
use the latest build and the library versions that would be required
(i.e., gsasl vs cyrus and whatever else is different).  I am using the
build found on nanoant.

I am already using plain instead of digest-md5.  The authentication,
according to the logs, is working.  However, no session ever shows up
in the sm.log, and the client just hangs while connecting.  As soon as
I switch sasl off in the client, I can connect normally.

So, I don't know if the build on nanoant uses the patches, but I would
hope that it did.  In any case, it appears that the encryption works
somewhat, but that the session cannot be started.  Hopefully this
information helps.

Thanks,

Dan