Hello, in my own opinion, I don't see notification so different. At the opposite, I think IM and notification are related and I far prefer to have all in a single program. Let's imagine a world where XMPP is very extended and used. I would travel a lot and then arrive in a Cyber-Café on a public computer. Then I would simply login to my Jabber account through a web-based interface (for instance, like gmail), or some installed Jabber client on this public machine. And with a single login, I would have access to my contacts, my adress book, my calendar, my bookmarks (as well web than Jabber bookmarks), my notification, etc. Then I travel with my own environment easily. Moreover if you had a separate program just for notification, how would the server knows which of your IM software or your feed software to notify? I think not remember you can precise a specific resource to notify. The server simply redirects the notification to one of the connected resources like the normal protocol of IM (so if your feed reader is not connected, you will get the notification on your IM client as soon as you connect, and then you would lose a notification without knowing it?!). Then the best mean to avoid this case is to have another account dedicated to the feeds, but then I think this is really a drawback to "have to" do so. And you remove one of the advantages of XMPP (and for my scenario above, then you lose all the advantages). For me, XMPP is far more than "just" an IM protocol. Or more than "separate things" to do in separate programs. I think this is a powerful protocol if you can do so many things you can imagine with just a single login. Jehan [ISO-8859-1] Remko Tron�on writes:
 Apparently Psi does not know what to do when he receives the
 message from the pubsub node.

Yes, it does know what to do with pubsub messages: ignore them, unless
they publish to a namespace that is known how to display it in the UI
(tunes, mood, avatar). Adding support for new namespaces easy; knowing
how to display this namespace, however, is not. Personally, I have
always thought that reading RSS feeds/blog posts in an IM client is
like forcing a round peg through a square hole. No matter how much I
like my IM client, there are much better tools for doing this. But
many people disagree.
This opinion on IM clients aside, I think publishing wordpress blogs
to pubsub nodes is cool. Maybe someone should create a dedicated XMPP
client for reading feeds (either web-based or desktop), or add XMPP
support to a good existing RSS reader. I don't really know of anything
better than Google Reader, so it would be very nice to have something
like that in a free version doing XMPP pubsub. A GSOC plugin could
look into the different aspects of reading and publishing (atom) feeds
in general would be worthwile i think.
cheers,
Remko