>  Then I would simply login to my Jabber account through a web-based interface
> (for
>  instance, like gmail),

GMail is an example of 2 different applications clearly separated into
one user interface, and integrating on some fronts. I don't have a
problem with that. My problem is if you start creating one giant
client that does everything, where you soon end up with a user
interface that is only mediocre at all tasks, and very confusing.

>  Moreover if you had a separate program just for notification, how would the
>  server knows which of your IM software or your feed software to notify? I

An IM client wouldn't publish the capability of reading feeds, and as
such would not get notifications.

>  For me, XMPP is far more than "just" an IM protocol.

I don't think anyone is doubting that XMPP is more than an IM
protocol. The question is whether you should build an XMPP client that
implements *everything* you can do with XMPP. My opinion is that this
leads to bad, uninspired applications. The best applications are
focused on their task, and do it extremely well.

cheers,
Remko