Hi Mark,

Mark Wielaard wrote:

For example we don't have any
JNDI providers or accessibility providers that hook up to the Gnome
accessibility tools yet. I know the last one is a problem for
OpenOffice.

AFAIK some people are also working on a native (no Java involved) accessibility bridge for OOo/Gnome ATK.

Also OpenOffice uses some extensions like the JavaMail provider for the
mail-merge functionality. Chris Burdess, the maintainer of GNU
java-mail, just released a new version of our free replacement for this
library. I don't know if this is enough for the mail-merge funtionality
in OpenOffice though.

Currently OpenOffice.org does not have e-mail merge at all. Only StarOffice has an implementation of the necessary UNO service, which is based on JavaMail. An implementation of this service for OOo could be done with or without Java.

According to Coalan the current mail-merge dialog suggests to install
the proprietary java-mail implementation. It would be good if OpenOffice
could ship the LGPLed GNU replacement by default. If our free
replacement is not functional enough please let us know so we can
improve the library.

In the light of the preceding that message is plain wrong. And shipping JavaMail or any replacement would be of no use atm.

- We found it hard to actually find the correct CVS repository modules
to checkout and build the current development branch. There is a lot of
documentation and hints how to do it for the 1.3 series, but not for the
1.9/2.0 series.

What is missing for you in <http://tools.openoffice.org/dev_docs/build_linux.html>

(It is my impression that build documentation is much better maintained for 1.9/2.0 these days and building is much smoother than 1.1.x ever was)

- We are not sure we are monitoring the right forums, mailinglist,
bugtracker modules that have discussions that might impact the
interoperability between our projects.

Unfortunately its quite a lot. I could suggest a list of mailing lists. I don't think you'll need much else, except possibly IRC.

(Side-note: the reply-to header
mangling doesn't make it easy to keep following a discussion on one of
the mailinglists since the sender doesn't get a reply.)

That is another discussion and I'll refrain from commenting here. But things being as they are, you should subscribe to lists you participate in. (I still tried to CC you)

Ciao,  Jörg

--
Joerg Barfurth              Sun Microsystems - Desktop - Hamburg
Software Engineer                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OpenOffice.org Configuration          http://util.openoffice.org