Wow!  I've haven't seen this much interest in the paper(s) for a long, long
time.  It is, however, refreshing, to see that there is considerable interest
in the underlying Rete algorithm from so many people (er, persons?).  Anyway, I
contacted Dr. Forgy some time ago (like two weeks?) about both papers (his
dissertation and the AI publication) and he does not have either one in
electronic form.  He does have a copy of his thesis in hard copy.  His 1979
thesis is 178 pages that we "could" scan in, but that is not the best way.
I've been toying with the idea of using some OCR software to scan in the whole
thing and then "re-do" the diagrams in a more modern format.  I'm 99.4% sure
that he would have no objection since the entire thing was done under a DOD
grant.  And, he's a really nice person.

On the other hand, Ernest is 100% correct that the AI publication is
copyrighted and we cannot publish, display or show where to get that one.  My
only suggestion would be to get the publisher to put it out on their web site
for down loads for a small fee, say $5 or something like that.  Ernest's other
suggestion is also good; go to your local university library archives and make
your own copies.  I've done that before and, although it takes some time, it's
worth the effort.

For most of our group, the discussion that Ernest put together on his web site
should be sufficient.  It does show the high-level view of the Rete algorithm
and is quite understandable.  The code for implementing is freely available
from JEOPS, http://www.di.ufpe.br/~jeops/ so you can see how to do that part as
well.  One final note:  I've noticed that most who get the thesis glance at the
first chapter and then put it on the shelf to study when things are less hectic
and they never get around to actually reading the good stuff.  But, it looks
nice on your personal library shelf, right?  Just my two cents.  :-)

SDG
jco

James C. Owen
Senior KE