On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 06:00 AM, Serge Huber wrote:

What's interesting about that document is page 14 "What The Portlet Specification Does Not Address", notably : Portlet Aggregators, Pre-built Portlets and Administration and Portlet Deployment.

One of the issues I see for Jetspeed 2, using the new Portlet API, is how to port Jetspeed to other application servers than Tomcat. From what I understand of the specification, nothing concerning the dispatching to portlets is standardized, meaning there is no standard way to "lookup a portlet" and then to call the render or action methods on that portlet. As portlets are special classes in a standard Web application, this means it will be left to every servlet container implementation to do this in it's own way. And most servlet containers protect web applications contexts from one another, meaning they are in different class loader, so there is no way that Jetspeed, being a web application itself, could access the class of another web application in another context and dispatch to it. Sure Jetspeed could include a complete servlet container, but that's kinda unfortunate since we usually want to let the application server do that.

Another way to look at this problem is : how do we port Jetspeed to other platforms than Tomcat ? In Tomcat we can access the whole source code and add interceptors into the servlet lookup to dispatch to a portlet from Jetspeed. How would we do this on Orion, or Resin, or WebLogic, or WebSphere ?

Tomcat and Resin have a cross-context invoker feature. See http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/context.html

I don't know about the commercial products

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software