Robert Hanson wrote the following on 16/07/2010 01:37:
> Arie, question for you: I see the two polyhedra models in the PDF file.
> But I can't figure out what is going on with the rotation. How is it
> that it is working just like jmol, sort of, with the axis in the bottom
> left corner spinning around its center, but how then is the model
> spinning around a DIFFERENT center?

I guess that this is an Adobe feature
> Also, there's some error in that way those polyhedra are rendering --
> faces get lost depending upon the orientation. I wonder if the normals
> are wrong.

where is the source of the error? Is it the way Adobe reader implements
the interactive stuff, is it the movie15 package, or is there still a
problem how Jmol exports idtf (or the idtfconverter)? I haven't seen
such problems with molecular models.

> This is going to take some work to get right.

Yes for sure; it would be nice if we could verify the intermediate
steps; so I repeat my question: is there an independant idtf/u3d viewer?
   Strangely enough I do not find anything on the web.
Astronomy people use VRML to be embedded as 3D objects in pdf-files:
<http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/s2plot/index.php?title=S2PLOT:3dPDF>
But the latex/movie15 package is recommended for creating 'professional
articles'.
Arie

> [...]
>     the image frequency to a lower value in the Reader's 3D options and/or
>     to change the optimisation method for small frequency to 'Abandon'. And
>     it is a good idea to preload the pdf in the Reader before doing the
>     actual presentation.
>
>     How can one create such a pdf? You can find bits and pieces on the Web,
>     including those in the Jmol wiki. In short it is this:
>
>     1)create your structure in Jmol and write an IDTF file
>       write IDTF "file.idtf"
>     2)convert the idtf file to u3d format with the idtfconverter, see also
>     here: <http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/File_formats/3D_Objects#U3D>
>     3)pdflatex a file like the following minimal example
>     *************************************
>     \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
>     \usepackage{hyperref}
>     \usepackage[3D]{movie15}
>
>     \pagestyle{empty}
>
>     \begin{document}
>
>      \begin{center}
>       \includemovie[
>        label=een,
>         autoplay,
>         repeat=1,
>         toolbar=true,
>     3Droo=33.34789768949952,
>     3Dcoo=0.000000257883272070 -0.000000283616543584 -0.000000327838080239,
>     3Dc2c=-0.7544490694999695 -0.5638955235481262 0.33589935302734375,
>     3Droll=-18.778433745507403,
>     3Dbg=.66 1. 0.83,
>     3Dlights=Headlamp,
>     inline=true,
>       ]{0.9\textwidth}{0.9\textwidth}{een.u3d}
>     %  \\
>     %\movieref[3Dcalculate]{een}{Click here!}
>     \end{center}
>     \end{document}
>     *********************************
>     4) decomment in a first run the \movieref line. You will have the
>     possibility to better center the object and by clicking on 'click here!'
>     AR calculates you a new set of coordinates that may replace by copy and
>     paste the old set. The bigger the object the longer AR takes to
>     calculate the set of coordinates. Be patient, this may be long and not
>     feasable on a notebook. By the way, if your initial set of coordinates
>     is totally wrong, then you may not see your object at all after the
>     initial pdflatex runs. You need to zoom or dezoom and/or translate to
>     get the object into your visible frame.
>     5) as soon as you have a nice set of coordinates you may comment again
>     the movieref line and set toolbar to false.
>
>     This is it: yes it is a bit cumbersome, but it is worthwhile if you want
>     to have your structure/molecules as 3D objects in your pdf presentation.
>     The alternative is of course to open Jmol next to your presentation. The
>     advantage is that you have all the options of Jmol available, which you
>     do not have in AR - the only thing you can do there is
>     rotating/translating/zooming. But if your presentation is only 20 or 30
>     minutes, I prefer to do it without 'break', thus without opening another
>     application. Of course this is a matter of taste.

A. van der Lee
Institut Européen des Membranes
CNRS - UMR 5635
Université de Montpellier II - Case Courrier 047
Place E. Bataillon
34095 MONTPELLIER Cedex 5 - FRANCE

Tel :  33 (0) 4 67 14 91 35
Fax : 33 (0) 4 67 14 91 19

Website X-ray scattering facility ICG/IEM:
http://www.iemm.univ-montp2.fr/xrayweb/main_uk.html