OK. Just for reference, here are the issues:

-- In Jmol the center of window (mouse) rotation is not necessarily the
point {0 0 0} nor is it necessarily the center of the model.
-- In Jmol the center of rotation may not be positioned directly in front of
the user, at the window center. It may be offset ("translated") in the XY
pixel plane. (CTRL-ALT-drag)
-- Zooming in Jmol is based on the center of rotation, wherever it is in the
XY window plane, not the window center.
-- The perspective in Jmol should be the same as other programs (starting
with Jmol 11).

This is a different model than the one used in VRML or U3D or the general
CAD business, I think. In those cases, you don't generally hold the object
at arms' length and rotate it with your wrist, instead you walk around the
model. Or, to put it another way, in Jmol the mouse is used to rotate the
model, not change the camera position, and zoom is like looking through a
telescope, not moving into the model (unless you are in navigation mode.) At
least that's what I've gathered with my meager experience with these
programs.

The point is that while we should be able to get the opening scene right, it
will be a good trick to get the mouse action to be the expected action. U3D
is pretty general, so I suspect there is a way to do it -- it just may take
some careful experimentation.

Still, I think this is a good start.

Bob

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900